Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Vanished Blogger

To those of you following my blog, it may have seemed as if I dropped off the face of the earth approximately a year ago. And, in the case of the blog, I did. I'm not entirely sure why I stopped writing and updating throughout the year. Maybe I got too busy, or succumbed to the curse of "Beaufort time", or just decided that I didn't need to share all the details of my life with the inter-web. Honestly? I can't remember. But I've hit a point where I've decided to pick the blog back up again and run with it... or at least take it for a leisurely stroll during my spare time. But, since I am no longer in North Carolina, the title just didn't fit anymore. And the old layout was, well, old. So, after a quick overhaul and a subtle face lift, I present you with my "new" old blog.

Wading Through Life.

Because, really, that's all I'm doing right now. I'm not anywhere in particular, I'm not starting a new chapter of my life (*yet... but hopefully soon?), I'm not floundering or drowning or floating... I'm just wading, passing the time in the company of the gentle melancholy that seems to accompany the sand and salt between your toes.

Now for the obligatory update as to what I've been up to in the last year. Here goes...

Since I last wrote, I did indeed make it back to Beaufort, North Carolina, safe and sound. I attended the last few classes of my educational career; wrote, edited, submitted and presented my thesis; graduated; moved a couple of times and spend some time living out of hotels (long story); said goodbye to my friends yet again, then drove home to attend my sister's wedding. And, because of the type of temporary US visa I had, I was barred from returning to the States without a job. So instead, I moved back home with the pup and settled in "temporarily" to enjoy the summer while trying to find employment in the US, completely unsuccessfully. Since then, my work visa for the States has expired, and I've put out literally hundreds of job applications and unsolicited resumes all over the world to try to find work, and have had no luck. So here I sit, kicking my feet in the metaphorical sea of life, just trying to figure out what comes next. And for now, that is what this blog is about. I'm not going to guarantee that things aren't going to get ugly up in here (because sometimes, things just ARE ugly), but you're welcome to follow along if you so desire. Fingers crossed that this phase of the blog, the wading, will be short-lived and that soon I will have moved on to a new job, a new location, and a new chapter. A Canuck in (fill in the blank*).

*I am wide open to suggestions... within reason, and within my profession, please!

1 comment:

Sharona said...

Robyn, I'm glad you started writing again. I'm looking forward to your thoughts on unemployment and the "wading" period. Sending my love your way!