Sunday, March 27, 2011

The ABCs of Job Hunting

If you had asked me this time last year what my plans were for the job hunt, I could have listed off my plan, my backup plan, my backup for my backup plan, my backup for my backup for my backup plan, and so on. Plan A: Find a job doing marine mammal research, either for a non-profit (first choice), or a government organization (second choice). Plan B: Find a job doing marine research that isn't solely based on marine mammals, but has a marine mammal component. Plan C: Find a communications job in a marine conservation organization. Plan D: Find a job doing marine environmental outreach or education. Plan E: Find a job in any sort of marine or fisheries or environmental organization, using any of my varied freshwater/marine/environmental/communications/outreach experiences as a jumping off point. Preferably a job in North America.

At the time, I felt like I had covered all my bases, and had formed my hierarchy of desired jobs in a way that was specific to what I want to end up doing, but general enough that I could ease in through any possible door. And, truthfully, it started off relatively promising. Months before I even graduated I had interviews for a communications position with a marine conservation organization in Maine, and for a position with the Center for Biological Diversity in Alaska. During the few months following graduation I interviewed for a position with a consulting firm in Hawaii doing work with spinner dolphins, and a temporary communications job with the Canadian Wildlife Federation in Ottawa. Each organization had their good reasons for not hiring me and truthfully, with the exception of the job in Alaska, none of the positions sounded all that great for me at that point in time anyways. But, as time wore on and no more interviews came my way, I started to get a little panicked. I expanded to different job types, sent out unsolicited resumes to any marine organization I came across, and even started applying for jobs overseas. And still, no bites.

The other day, at my annual checkup, I was chatting with my family doctor about being unemployed. She asked me what my Plan B was, and I honestly couldn't answer her. I have reached the point where my plans have all jumbled together into one huge, overwhelming goal. And when Plan A is finding employment, what the hell is Plan B?

For a very brief period of time (on one of my panicky days), I debated going back to school and doing a PhD. I even emailed a prof at Dalhousie that I've wanted to work with for years, asking if he had any spots open in his lab. During the hour it took for him to respond, I had created pro and con lists, decided that I would only do a PhD in Canada (preferably east coast) because I needed to get a foot in the door for the Canadian job market (since I discovered that training in the States doesn't make it any easier whatsoever to find a job there as a foreigner), and would only do a PhD if the funding was enough to cover living costs. But then I got the reply, and the whole thrown-together Plan B went out the window. The prof, while he was thought I had a "very impressive resume" (a line which I HATE, by the way... it's like a guy walking up to you at a bar and saying "you have such beautiful eyes..." Total cop-out. But I digress...), informed me that he had taken on too many grad students in the past few years, and it would be "a long long time" before he could take on anymore. He then let me know that in Canada, in this field, labs generally only take on grad students if they come with their own full funding, which is really hard to get. I've tried in the past and failed miserably (hence grad school in the States...). That, combined with the fact that it's another 4 or 5 years of school, do not make a PhD very appealing. So I quickly came to my senses and decided to scrap that plan.

But what does that leave me with now? I've been unemployed for almost a year, and I'm totally stuck. I suppose I could start looking into doing another unpaid internship to "gain experience" and pass the time... but I feel like I spent too much financially, mentally and emotionally on grad school to take such a huge step backwards. Plus, I already did the unpaid internship thing for a year, and I feel like I've paid my dues. But would being able to put another (more recent) job experience on my resume be worth swallowing my pride for? Maybe the fact that I'm not doing anything "in the meantime" is hurting my chances of getting interviews, because it looks like I'm not taking initiative. I don't know.... I've been wrestling with these dilemmas for months now, and I am nowhere near finding the answer. Any input or advice would be great at this point... maybe some fresh ideas will get things rolling again.

In the meantime, I'll be continuing the eternal search and application process, and keeping my fingers crossed that something pans out.

No comments: