Monday, March 2, 2009

Greatest Monday EVER

I woke up this morning the same way I always do: My alarm went off, and after some struggling to find my arms beneath the blankets I hit the snooze button and went back to sleep. Nine minutes later, my alarm goes off. I hit the snooze button and go back to sleep. Nine minutes later, my alarm goes off. I hit the snooze button and go back to sleep. Nine minutes later, my alarm goes off. I flick the button over to radio, but my clock is being testy again and doesn't pick up the station. So I lie in bed and stare at the ceiling, slowly inching my feet out from beneath my cozy duvet so the cold floor won't seem like such a shock. Then, with the world's most heartfelt sigh, I ease my way out of bed and hit the showers (where I wash my hair AND my face twice, because I can't remember which cleansing rituals have already been completed).

Then, clean and dry and wrapped in a big fluffy towel, I turn on my computer to check my email. But this morning differed from others in one glorious way. Awaiting me in my inbox was a notification of the one thing every student (even us ancient grad students) wait the entire year to hear....

SNOW DAY.

Classes cancelled, assignments put off, SNOW DAY.

Of course the first thing I do is call my Mom to brag about my luck, and revel in the fact that I can go back to bed for awhile. And go back to bed I do... not sleeping, but watching a full 3 episodes of Gilmore Girls on DVD and letting my mind slowly wake up the proper way.

Then, after sufficient time had passed and I felt it was time to actually start my day, I hazarded a peek out the window, to see this incredible environmental saviour that caused classes to be cancelled.

And what, may you ask, did I see?



An inch of snow. ONE. FULL. INCH.

As one friend put it, "An inch of snow and the entire city shuts down? What a Toronto thing to do..."

Poor Chazz, he probably thought coming south meant never having to say "I'm freezing". Too bad I left my snow brush in Ottawa...



I don't think the holly-like bush outside my front door liked it too much either. But it sure does look purdy!



And now, my friends, I am off to spend the remainder of my snow day trying to catch up on homework assignments and study for the two midterms I write this week.

Oh, and to practice my "interpretive talk" for my job interview tonight... wish me luck!

1 comment:

Sharona said...

Good luck on your interview! I was just as happy to find out we had a snow day. I slept a little longer, made myself some eggs, watched some Anthony Bourdain...it was awesome. Now if only my midterm would write itself...