Saturday, August 23, 2008

I'm now Orientated.... Oriented....?

Orientation week is FINALLY over, and boy was it exhausting. We were on campus all day from Monday to Friday, generally starting at 8:30 and finishing around 5-ish. For somebody who has pretty much made her own schedule (which involved staying up late and sleeping in) for the last 8 months, that was A LOT. We had tons of information thrown at us (even more for me because of my "international student" status), we played games, took forest tours (yes, Duke has its very own forest), were forced to socialize, and learned useful things like how to register for classes. So, at the end of the week, here is what I've accomplished:

1. I now know my way around the LSRC building. Yes, only that one building. Luckily that's where most of my classes are.

2. I have located my locker and my mailbox... a good start.

3. I'm registered for all my classes. Well, almost all... I'm actually switching one of my electives, so I still have a few kinks to work out.

4. I've applied for my assistantship positions, and have already interviewed for one. Hopefully I'll have one lined up by the Monday after next.

5. I've remembered that I HATE forced social situations.

6. I've found my new favourite place to read... the LSRC courtyard is surrounded by a low stone wall, and there's this one spot where you can sit and lean against a pillar in the shade, and it's just so comfortable! Plus, there's a good chance you'll be visited by a cute squirrel and a small lizard, so that keeps things interesting.

7. As of 10 minutes ago, I finally set up my voicemail on my cell phone. Now you can leave me a message!

8. I got *almost* all of my forms for payroll, international stuff, etc. filled out. I still need to get my Social Security Number though... so not really done I guess.

9. I ordered my books online! Much easier and cheaper than getting them at the bookstore. Although now I'm going to have to return one of them, since I'm switching one of my classes... oops!

10. I experienced a real southern tradition and went to see a civil war reenactment. Yes, they actually do those. You can find some of my pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2163079&l=0e022&id=90410398

11. I finally got around to taking pictures of my house to show everyone. You can see those pictures here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2162437&l=db99b&id=90410398

Anyways, that's all I can think of for now... I'm not feeling too inspired this evening, so sorry about the boring post. I'll update again after I start classes.

2 comments:

Jackie S. Quire said...

I MAINTAIN ORIENTATED IS NOT A WORD!

Robyn said...

Duly noted.