Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snowed In: Maryland Edition

Yesterday I started my long drive from Almonte back to Beaufort, North Carolina. Under normal circumstances, I would almost be there by now. Instead, I am stuck in a hotel room in Cockeysville, Maryland, watching a record-breaking blizzard blow outside my window.

At about 1:30 yesterday I stopped in Lebanon, Pennsylvania for lunch, where a concerned retired truck driver cornered me as I was getting out of my truck to tell me about the impending winter storm. He noticed my license plate was Canadian, and told me that if I continued south on I-83 (which I was intending on doing), I was going to drive right into it in about an hour. He suggested I just stay put, get a room at the hotel beside the Wendy's (which was also close to a gas station, a mechanic, and two convenience stores), and just hunker down. For the next Two Days.

Two Days?? In Lebanon, Pennsylvania??? I don't think so. So I politely said I'd consider his advice, grabbed my number 8 combo to go, and headed back out to the interstate.

About an hour later, the flurries started. Nothing major, just a few flakes that left the roads wet. But a few minutes after they started, I looked around and realized that I was the only south-bound car on the interstate. A fact that, truthfully, made me a little uneasy... yet I continued driving for another half hour or so. Soon enough, I passed a "Welcome to Maryland!" sign, and decided that I shouldn't try to get through Baltimore that afternoon (since the retired truck driver had told me they were calling for the worst snow there). So, remembering another time I had stopped at a great condo-style hotel just inside the Maryland border, I decided to look for it again. A few lucky turns and familiar-looking town names lead me right to the hotel, where I optimistically booked a room for one night. And at 4:30 or so, I found myself lying on a couch in my suite's living room (after preparing Koda's dinner in the full kitchen), watching the plasma TV. Not too shabby for a $100 room. But when my stomach started growling around 6:00, I decided to find somewhere to grab dinner. I donned my sneakers and puffy vest, leashed Koda, and stepped outside... into about 4 inches of snow. Already. That was the point when I realized I might be here longer than I hoped. So I hit up a grocery store, grabbed some muffins, fruit and other essentials to get me through a day, and hunkered in for the night.

This morning, I woke up to about 21 inches of snow on the ground, with reports of at least 10 more coming. More than I saw in Canada over the last two months! The weather reports are taking over all the local TV channels, and it's reported that this is the most snowfall in years. And of course, since I'm heading to North Carolina where it's supposed to be warm and snow-free, I didn't bother bringing my winter boots or jacket. Which means that when I take Koda outside, I'm wading through ass-deep snow drifts wearing jeans and sneakers. Which, contrary to popular belief, is not the warmest or driest outdoor gear... and yet I can't help but laugh at the irony of the situation, and at Koda jumping into snow drifts that cover up to the tips of her ears. It's pretty hilarious!

So for now I'm hunkered down, wearing my pyjamas and watching TV (because my wet jeans are the only real clothes I packed in my overnight bag, and the rest of my stuff is buried in my car under a couple feet of snow. Plus, the doors are currently frozen shut, which I realized when I tried to un-bury Chazz enough to grab some stuff for Koda.) I'm hoping that the snow ends by tonight, and the plows make the roads passable by tomorrow... but reports are conflicting as to whether or not the Maryland National Guard is going to be able to dig us out by then. In the meantime I guess I'll just enjoy the forced relaxation, laugh at Koda in the snow, and take some pictures of the beautiful-yet-heavy blanket of white which is covering literally everything.

Photos to come soon!

No comments: